[Xesam] Missing classes: Notes and Feeds

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri May 21 06:41:59 PDT 2010

On 21 May 2010 14:26, Ivan Frade <ivan.frade at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mikkel!
>
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
> <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Xesamies, Nepomites, and Oscafanians,
>>
>> In the Xesam ontologies we have simple classes to describe items
>> pertaining syndicated messages, eg. xesam:RSSFeed and
>> xesam:RSSMessage. I can not seem to find corresponding classes in the
>> Shared Desktop Ontologies. Any hints for me?
>
> In the proposed extensions from Maemo, we have nmo:FeedChannel (subclass of
> communication channel) and nmo:FeedMessage (subclass of Message) to
> represent feed (channel) and items inside (messages). It is in our todo to
> start the merge process of this changes in the shared desktop ontologies
> set, but it is quite a bit of work.

Good to hear. I was also expecting that I wasn't the only one with
these needs. But why is it that it is "quite a bit of work"? That
worries me a bit..?

>> I have a similar question about notes created by note taking apps such
>> as Tomboy and what have we..?
>
> On our side, no classes for it (yet), but i think it is a must. There is a
> proposal in this wiki page:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/Tracker/Discussion/GnomeOntologies
>
> It needs still some love and review, but i like the idea, so some feedback
> is welcome and it can be included soon in tracker.

I'd really prefer to have it under the Nepomuk/Oscaf umbrella sooner
rather than later (as I expect that note taking is general enough?).
Shifting between ontologies in a stable app is not very fun to do.
Possible, yes, but not very rewarding work.

Mikkel