[Xesam] Missing classes: Notes and Feeds

Ivan Frade ivan.frade at gmail.com
Tue May 25 04:03:10 PDT 2010

Hi

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <
mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 May 2010 14:26, Ivan Frade <ivan.frade at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Mikkel!
> >
> > On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
> > <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Xesamies, Nepomites, and Oscafanians,
> >>
> >> In the Xesam ontologies we have simple classes to describe items
> >> pertaining syndicated messages, eg. xesam:RSSFeed and
> >> xesam:RSSMessage. I can not seem to find corresponding classes in the
> >> Shared Desktop Ontologies. Any hints for me?
> >
> > In the proposed extensions from Maemo, we have nmo:FeedChannel (subclass
> of
> > communication channel) and nmo:FeedMessage (subclass of Message) to
> > represent feed (channel) and items inside (messages). It is in our todo
> > start the merge process of this changes in the shared desktop ontologies
> > set, but it is quite a bit of work.
>
> Good to hear. I was also expecting that I wasn't the only one with
> these needs. But why is it that it is "quite a bit of work"? That
> worries me a bit..?

The merge of our Tracker changes in the standard set of ontologies. We have
already quite a lot of changes, some of them small (simple properties)
others pretty complex (like the IM messaging, or the whole Email
representation).

> >> I have a similar question about notes created by note taking apps such
> >> as Tomboy and what have we..?
> >
> > On our side, no classes for it (yet), but i think it is a must. There is
> > proposal in this wiki page:
> >
> > http://live.gnome.org/Tracker/Discussion/GnomeOntologies
> >
> > It needs still some love and review, but i like the idea, so some
> feedback
> > is welcome and it can be included soon in tracker.
>
> I'd really prefer to have it under the Nepomuk/Oscaf umbrella sooner
> rather than later (as I expect that note taking is general enough?).
> Shifting between ontologies in a stable app is not very fun to do.
> Possible, yes, but not very rewarding work.

That proposal is not in tracker nor nepomuk set of ontologies so the
integration can be very quick in both sides, once we get few more opinions
about it.

Regards,

Ivan