[video-nsc] X won't shutdown properly.

Robert Massa robertmassa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 01:19:54 PST 2006

Hello,

I'm working on a project using AMD geode thin client's. We're using
the nsc driver and Xorg 7.0 release version.  There seems to be a
problem switching back to text or framebuffer mode. The monitor won't
receive a signal, altough the system doesn't crash. When restarting X
the display switches back on and everything is back to normal again.

This (rather old) site suggests the problem was already around in 2003.

http://www.larwe.com/technical/geode_linux.html

Quote:
"The nsc_drv.o driver does not correctly save/restore the entire video
subsystem state with some BIOS versions. This makes it impossible to
switch from X to a different virtual console. It also means that the
system will lose sync and go into an undisplayable video mode if you
exit X. There is no workaround for this issue at this time; use
XFree86 3.x if this is a problem for you. This problem is known to
exist on the Wafer-582x products and the e-valuetech EBC-3410. It does
not affect the EBC-5410."

We're also trying to get non-standard wide-screen modes like 1360x768
to work. The driver won't accept any non-standard modes. I don't know
if this is because the hardware doesn't support this, or it's just not
implemented.

I'm also a bit confused about the differences between the nsc and amd
drivers around, they seem to be much the same, and both have the
aforementioned problem.

Looking at the CVS the nsc driver seems to be unmaintained for quite
some time now, is there anyone known working on this driver who I can
contact for futher info?

Thank you.

Robert Massa
Telebyte -  System Developer