Finding needle in haystack..

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Wed Sep 6 07:02:32 PDT 2006

Thomson, David-P63356 wrote:
> Developers,
>
> Could someone please hear me out and shoot me a quick response, I find
> these developer mailing lists are pretty segregated and people only
> respond to posts that deal exclusively with the work they are doing.
>
> Short story:  I am doing work for "No Such Agency" .  Our project would
> like a nice clean way of getting the socket number associated with the
> XID of a window.  Is there a function that returns this info?  If not
> I'll be making such a function.  If I do, I'll be looking for where the
> window id's/socket number correlation is stored/modified.  Does anyone
> know about this part of X or know who I could talk to?  Email me if you
> want more details on our project.

There's no window/socket correlation in X.  A socket connection is
created when you call XOpenDisplay() to connect to the X server.  Any
number of windows may be created with that connection.

You can get the socket(s) associated with an open display connection
with the XInternalConnectionNumbers() function.

-Brian