xf86-video-ati randr-1.2 branch on PowerBook5,4 with RV350

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 07:47:22 PDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Paul Collins <paul at briny.ondioline.org> wrote:
> "Alex Deucher" <alexdeucher at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Are both monitors blank or just the monitor on the VGA port?
>
> No problems with the laptop display.  Also, despite what xrandr seems to
> be saying, the external display is DVI.

Ah, that would explain it.  VGA uses a DAC, DVI uses a TMDS
controller: different hardware.  Since apples have no connector table
we hardcode the connectors.  by default I set up LVDS and VGA.  I
suppose since we know all the apple models so we can be more specific
based on pci subsystem ids or something.  The question is, does your
laptop use the internal TMDS or external?  If it uses internal, we are
all set, if it's external, you'll have to init the external chip using
macos first as we do not currently have code in the driver to do it
yet.  Benh might know.  Anyway, here's how to test:

Add one of the following to the device section of your config:

Internal TMDS
Option "ConnectorTable" "2,2,2,1,3,0,0,3"

External TMDS
Option "ConnectorTable" "2,2,2,1,3,0,1,3"

Alex