xf86-video-intel, modesetting branch

Krzysztof Halasa khc at pm.waw.pl
Sun Jan 28 13:47:15 PST 2007

Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> writes:

> Outputs present a list of supported modes; the job of selecting suitable
> CRTCs to light up all of the requested outputs with the desired mode is
> something the server automates so you don't have to figure out which
> CRTC should be connected to each output.
>
> As you change output configurations around, the xrandr client takes over
> the job of selecting a suitable configuration of CRTCs given the desired
> output mode combination. This reduces the need for the user to deal with
> the hidden CRTC objects and lets them focus solely on the relationship
> between the physical monitors they are using.

I see, it must be that important thing I was missing :-)
Now I can see the output modes are really needed.

Then... perhaps specifying a monitor in main "Screen" section
should be disallowed?

WRT "Modes" keyword... I still think it's useful and the
implementation is in fact in place, it's just not currently used
(that's the i830xf86ValidateModesUserConfig()). I'd have to look
at it, though.

> As far as I understand, NTSC specifies that the bottom field is first.

Right. OTOH, analog commercial PAL is top-first. Then, DV (that's
what I need it for) is bottom-first even with PAL and then commercial
PAL DVDs are (if interlaced at all) usually t-f but may be b-f as
well :-)

> Does this work in interlaced mode now?

Sure, 576 lines 50 Hz interlaced (25 Hz full frame).
--
Krzysztof Halasa