x.org is Hacker Trash

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Mar 30 03:24:56 PDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 06:02:22AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 12:20:51PM +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > It is relatively complex, and in some cases (e.g. the apps)
> > unnecessarily so.  But the thing to realise is that most of the modules
> > haven't changed in about a decade.  It's quite painful initially, but
>
> hmm - I would use (or only accept) a qualifier like "most" if I actually
> had a number.  Do you have one?   I haven't seen any evidence that any
> of the Xorg hackers do metrics, and am curious why this is so.

http://people.freedesktop.org/~daniels/dates.txt

85 last modified 2005, 147 last modified 2006, 87 last modified 2007.  A
much better counting utility would work out when the last _code_
modification was, as modularisation bumped all of them for config.h and
header locations.  Plus, 'a lot' (submitted without metrics, at this
point) of modules have only been bumped for man page and ChangeLog
fixes, I'm willing to bet.

Cheers,
Daniel