intel g33 driver bug? Configured by SuSE 10.3 (sax2)

Thomas Mellman tmellman at
Thu Oct 25 22:08:42 PDT 2007

I am encountering unpleasant X behavior after upgrading to an Intel GMA
3100 (G33) graphics device and SuSE 10.3.
The driver selected is the "intel" driver.

    Sax presents the XFINE2 test/configuration dialog, the
    dimensions/orientation buttons can be actuated, but no change to the
    characteristics of the display occur.  The On Screen Display says
    91.3kHz/85Hz 1280x1024 no matter what value the test was rated at
    (in the sax setup dialog, where the test resolution is entered).

    xvidtune starts but when an attempt is made to execute the "test",
    an error dialog is presented with the message: "Sorry: you have
    requested a mode-line That is not possible, or not supported by your
    hardware configuration" - even if when no changes are made to the

    Although I have at least 4 resolutions defined in the Screens
    section, the ctl-alt-[+-] chord performs no change.

    Even if I attempt a lower resolution, such as 800x600, sax still
    reports 1280x1024.

    I have Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf files for this monitor where it runs
    flawlessly at 1600x1200 - using the SIS Chipset.

I have attached two Xorg.0.log files - the first one using the "intel"
driver, the second using the "sis" driver - both with the same monitor.
I was unsuccessful to force the use of the i810 driver.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.