xrandr multihead and window placement

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Sep 18 09:55:50 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 14:02 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:

> Without Xinerama but an xrandr multihead setup, this has stopped to
> work, at least in fluxbox. Now, the entire desktop seems to be
> a single head, and fluxbox will place windows from left to right,
> top to bottom, regardless of whether the window will be split
> between the two screens.

Which is odd, because RandR reports geometry information using the
Xinerama protocol, so I would expect window managers that supported
Xinerama in the past to support the Xinerama implementation inside of
RandR as well.

> Would someone please be so kind as to point me to the right source
> of information?

The RandR protocol spec is all we've got at this point

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/randrproto/tree/randrproto.txt

You might also look at the Xinerama man page (I can't even find a
protocol spec for this extension...). man 3 Xinerama.

keith.packard at intel.com