correct location of evdev?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 07:53:17 PST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:

> The concept of nixos is to store everypackage within its own path.
> That's why there are that many /nix/store/hash-name/ paths above.
> After having installed the packages into the store those dirs are made
> readonly. Now xkbcomp tries to save to one of those paths and fails.

Unless you're extremely careful about how you configure the packages
(and some of them may not even allow you to do it), you probably will
hit problems trying to install all the x packages into different
roots. They really expect to be integrated together into common paths.
Good luck with that.

Did you try running xkbcomp manually like I suggested? It might shed
more light onto why it can't find the evdev keycodes.

> The next small issue I have is that xkeyboard-config and xkbmodmap both
> depend on each other in some way:
> xkeyboard-config requires some header files of xkbcomp
> xkbcomp requires the installation path of xkeyboard-config to find evdev. [1]

xkbcomp is just an application, it doesn't have any headers.
xkeyboard-config does not require it. Likewise, you don't have to have
xkeyboard-config installed to build xkbcomp. You can just tell the
build where the xkb files will be.

I think what you're seeing is that xkeyboard-config is searching for
xkbcomp at build time. It then tries to make a symlink at
$XKB_ROOT/xkbcomp to the real xkbcomp. This is just for your
convenience. Nothing else uses that symlink, and I suspect most
distros remove it.

--
Dan