Why is XSetStandardProperties freezing?

Myrosia Dzikovska myrosia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 05:52:27 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have a program using an X graphics library that works on FC 13 and
ScientificLinux 6, but freezes on OpenSuse 12.1.  I need to get it
running, and I am trying to determine the cause of failure. I'm not an
X developer, and because the library is complex, I am struggling to
come up with a minimal example.

The specific cause of the problem is the call in the code:
XSetStandardProperties(win->theDisp, win->theWindow, wname, hgraf,
None, NULL, 0, &(win->hints));

I verified by putting print statements around it that it never
returns, the program freezes there.

The initialization code is complex, but the best I can tell it boils down to
char *hgraf = "HGraf";
win->theDisp = XOpenDisplay(0)
win->theScreen=DefaultScreen(win->theDisp);
win->rootW=RootWindow(win->theDisp, win->theScreen);
win->theWindow = XCreateSimpleWindow(win->theDisp, win->rootW, x, y,
w, h, bw, black, white );

I am at a loss as to what I should be checking here, and what could
cause the program to hang at that XSetStandardProperties call, with no
error messages or exceptions. How can I debug this?

Thanks,

Myrosia