[Clipart] website

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Sun Apr 11 10:42:24 PDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > Well, I don't like thinking that we haven't any images so I went ahead
> > and made one and uploaded it, to test out how stuff works.
> >
> > I seem to remember someone suggested maybe focusing on fruits and
> > vegetables for starters, so had a shot at making an apple.  Mostly it
> > just proves I'm no artist!  ;-)
> >
> > http://freedesktop.org/Software/IncomingClipart
> >
> > Bryce
>
> I think it's a nice apple. :-)
>
> I hope you don't mind if I use it as an example.  I mentioned that I will be
> working on a program to help OOo users install clipart and other goodies.
> Here is an example of the kind of interface I'm thinking of:
>
> http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/screenshot.png

Cool!

How OOo-specific will the installer be?  I'm wondering because Inkscape
is going to need something sort of similar, and it seems like there
might be some opportunities for idea sharing there.

An important idea for us to consider in regards to clipart installation
is that it would make a lot of sense if the installation location was in
a place that a variety of applications could find and access.  I.e.,
/usr/share/clipart/$package/.

A couple things to take into account - one, this project isn't the only
clipart project in the world, so we'd want to assume we were sharing the
clipart dir with other projects.  Second, various applications may
include their own application-specific artwork, that they'd want to
access from their own application-specific locations.

> Note:  This is just a GUI.  The program doesn't actually *do* anything yet.
>   I just got started last week.  And the GUI itself needs a lot of work.
> But alas, I am neither an artist, nor a UI designer.
>
> Nonetheless, this is an example of how one could list the images and author
> names.  There should be a text box at the top where the user can search for
> author names.  I just haven't figured how to do that part of the GUI.

Instead of listing the author name and email address, how about listing
the title and author name (but not the email address)?  I think for some
artists, having a way for the public to reach them is great, but others
are going to be more worried about getting spammed.  ;-)