[Clipart] website

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Sun Apr 11 11:59:03 PDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Well... what I am working on is fairly OOo-specific.  Allow me to explain:
>
>   * The clipart would be placed in OOo's internal gallery.
>   * It will also download templates and macros, and those are OOo-only tools.
>
> I guess that there could be a choice of clipart installation directory.  So
> the user can either send the clipart to OOo's internal gallery, or put it in
> /user/share/clipart/something/

What we were thinking for Inkscape was to put the clipart into a general
directory, and then a symlink in the share/inkscape/clipart directory.
This way, /usr/hsare/clipart/ could be a collection of SVG, WMF, Flash,
etc. and just the SVG packages would be included in Inkscape (unless it
grows to support other formats some day).

> Doing that should not be a problem, I don't think.  But when an Inkscape
> user runs this program, it would be completely evident that it was intended
> for an OOo user.
>
> I guess that the Inkscape people could just grab the source and modify it so
> the user never sees the other options.  This is an easy change.  It's just
> one line in the XUL file.  Maybe that's the best option?  We'll see.
> Remember that I just got started on the program.  It's just a GUI.  There is
> no programming logic there yet (and that's going to be the hard part).

Okay, well keep us up to date with your progress.  Even if the code
can't be shared directly, like you say, it's possible that at least the
underlying design ideas could be ported over.

> > Instead of listing the author name and email address, how about listing
> > the title and author name (but not the email address)?
>
> Sure.  Makes sense to me.  How's this?:
>
> http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/oooplus.png

Better - maybe change the column title to About?

Image     About
[***]     "Apple"
[***]     by Bryce Harrington