[Clipart] Re: [Openfontlibrary] Thumbnails. Was: more updates on Open Font Library

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Oct 23 14:51:23 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 13:28 -0700, George Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 11:53, Jon Phillips wrote:
> > > What exactly do you have in mind for a font thumbnail?
> > >   a single glyph at some (fairly large) point size
> > >   a line of text at some point size
> > >   a line of text at various point sizes
> > >   something else?
> > >
> > > I extend fontforge to generate these under a script (well, it already
> > > does the first) so it could be used as part of an automated process.
> >
> > This would be cool...could you email and/or add this to this list or our
> > wiki. I am adding thumbnailing capability.
> I think we are misunderstanding each other (or I am misunderstanding
> you). I'm not volunteering to produce thumbnails for you nor to post
> them to your wiki.
>
> What I meant was that I would be happy to extend fontforge to make it
> easy to create font thumbnails as part of an automated process.

That would be great...

> If that is useful then can you tell me what a font thumbnail should look
> like?

I think a simple one would be something like the normal test output for
fonts rendered to a png or jpeg at the dimensions given. Inkscape has
good options for this type of thing and should be studied.

fontforge --thumbnail --width 100 --height 100 \
--output blah.png FONT_NAME --text "Test text\nABCDabcd"

How about something like that?

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org