[Clipart] timeout?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Feb 12 15:42:40 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 17:27 +0200, Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:
> momo wrote:
> >
> > I'm having the same problem for the very beginning of CCHOST.
> > The behaviour is quite strange: the upload of SVG files bigger than
> > approx. 120Kb almost never ends with a successful upload message. It
> > just stucks at the uploading page in 80% of the cases. But in some of
> > theses cases the SVG file is successfully uploaded if I let the upload
> > page stuck for a few minutes though...
> > Another scenario that happens in about 15% of the cases, is the blank
> > page described bu Nicu. In these cases, the SVG is NEVER uploaded
> > successfully...
> > In a small 5% of the cases the upload is successfull, and the "SVG file
> > uploaded" message appears.
>
> I *think* I had a similar problem months ago, Rejon increased a timeout
> limit and it was temporarily solved. But it was long ago so my memory is
> fuzzy.
>
> BTW, ccHost allowed me today to upload even a 166KB file, but the other
> two seems to be too large.
>
> > Now the most bizarre of all this is that I'm having this problem ONLY
> > with SVG files. For example today, I ulpoaded 23 PNGs which average size
> > was about 2.5 Mb and the upload was smooth and bugless...
>
> Indeed, it looks like the error does not occur at upload but at some
> processing of the file.
>
> > May this be something related to postprocessing of the SVG files? What's
> > done to these files when they are uploaded (apart of the renaming). And
> > where are they stocked? On an FTP server? Or directly in MySQL (or
> > whathever the used database is...)?
>
> The files are uploaded using HTTP and stored on the disk, MySQL is used
> for names and keywords.
>
> In fact, the uploaded files before processing are in the root directory
> of "people": http://www.openclipart.org/people/
>
> My two failed uploads are:
> http://www.openclipart.org/people/cch_nicubunu_8c8f4.svg
> http://www.openclipart.org/people/cch_nicubunu_be0c0f5.svg
>
> and there are a lot other, including from you, like
> http://www.openclipart.org/people/cch_molumen_b13bec29.svg or
> http://www.openclipart.org/people/cch_molumen_21.svg

Can you guys take this question to the ccHost list...that would help me
out majorly...I'm a bit slammed for time and would appreciate this:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/cchost

And/or, good to file RFE: http://sf.net/projects/cctools

Also, I'm cc'ing Roan about this. He might have a good idea if this is
some type of post-processing that is timing out. Roan, what do you
think?

I have set all the timeouts to have infinite timeouts on php and the
limits for files to 20 megabytes.

http://openclipart.org/test.php

I think it must be post-processing steps of SVG, as ccmixter.org is fine
with files up to 10 megabyte (their file size limit).

Heya, here is a good test. Try to upload a 1mb and above bitmap file and
see if that gets by.

Otherwise, until I get time, probably best to ask upstream on
cctools-cchost mailing list...

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org