[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] Completely unusable site

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sun Sep 23 17:50:11 PDT 2007

On 9/17/07, farmer.rod at gmail.com <farmer.rod at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to voice my frustration at this site. It is completely unusable. In the
> past, it was relatively easy to find a category of icons, and see the thumbnails,
> determine what formats were available ... and download. Simple.
>
> The current design would have to be the most frustrating interface I have used
> in a long long time.

It might be worth considering merging openclipart.org with Wikimedia
Commons, which is the media repository used by Wikipedia and its
sister projects.

The MediaWiki software already has
- SVG thumbnail rendering
- versioned and editable metadata, including categories
- file versioning

It lacks a few other features, but one could attempt to spec these
out, and then Wikimedia Foundation and CC could pursue a joint
initiative to fund development work on them in some way. The current
OCL would then be accessible through a dedicated portal in Commons.

Let me know if this is something you want to discuss. As Board member
of the Foundation I don't have the authority to execute it myself, but
I can try to instigate it.
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik