rethrowing events, and digests

Keith Packard keithp@keithp.com
Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:08:23 -0800

Around 11 o'clock on Feb 9, Luke Bigum wrote:

> After an application grabs the keyboard and mouse, is there a way to 'rethrow'
> the event so that it gets passed to the correct window? Or is there a way to
> sample each event as it occurs without stopping it?

With a synchronous grab, you can receive the event, change the system and
then 'replay' the event.  Useful for doing click-to-type without losing
clicks.

But, there's no (current) way to filter events.  We need something like
this to deal with transformed windows.  I'm a bit worried about latency
though; I'm wondering if the X server should have a monopoly on
communication with the mouse.

> Second, I saw a few files called 'digest' (i think) a week ago while browsing
> the cvs that gave an excelent description of functions and their uses (i saw
> one for xfixes and render,

Doesn't sound familiar.  I can't imagine people would be deleting
documentation though.  It's hard enough to get it written in the first
place.

-keith