VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle@danka.de
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 02:23:29 +0100

> Matt Jones  mattharrison@sbcglobal.net
> Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:23:40 -0800
>

> For
> something like mozilla or evolution, this is a huge difference (try
> using it over a 56k, or even DSL - both are near unusable, even with
> compressed X, whereas VNC handles these much better)

Huh?

What are you talking about "both are nearly unusable" ??

Welcome to modern time reality. Things have chanded.

I am using mozilla, KDE Desktop, OpenOffice, KMail and other
programs over a 56k modem connection on a daily basis  --  it
doesn't even consume all the bandwidth! I guess  20 - 40k
would suffice for most of the time.

However, I don't use plain X. I fell into the beautiful NX
trap offered by http://www.nomachine.com/ and can't live
without any more.

Mozilla 1.6 over a 9.6k GSM Modem link requires 5 minutes to
startup and takes 4.000 roundtrips if I use plain-ol' X.
Unusable -- true.

Same Mozilla 1.6, again over a 9.6k GSM Modem link, but this
time turbo-powered by NX differential compression takes only
20 seconds to startup and sends only a dozen roundtrips if
across the wire, ahem ether.

KDE-3.2 to "boot" transfers 4.8 MByte of data until the
desktop is there (after KDM login), if running through
vanilla X.

Same KDE-3.2 to boot across the "NX wondertool" transfers
only 38 kBytes of data.

All numbers taken 30 minutes ago.

HTH,
Kurt