VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?

Michael L Torrie torriem@chem.byu.edu
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:40:16 -0700

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 18:23, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> I am using mozilla, KDE Desktop, OpenOffice, KMail and other
> programs over a 56k modem connection on a daily basis  --  it
> doesn't even consume all the bandwidth! I guess  20 - 40k
> would suffice for most of the time.
>
> However, I don't use plain X. I fell into the beautiful NX
> trap offered by http://www.nomachine.com/ and can't live
> without any more.

How does NX compare to simply using SSH to compress the tunneled X
traffic?  If NX can safely eliminate round trips to the server, then I'm
all for it.  Why is it not a standard part of X11 if it can do such a
good job of eliminating round trips and compression?  Any remote X
displays (even on a fast network) could benefit from that.

Michael