X compression techniques (was Re: VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?)

Egbert Eich eich@xfree86.org
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:48:41 +0100

Mike A. Harris writes:

 > So what?  How does that software in any way contribute to the
 > development of xserver, kdrive, or any future X development?
 >
 > Simple answer:  It doesn't.
 >
 > If you want to use their solution, by all means go right ahead,
 > and if their product built on top of it is whippy-snappy for you,
 > fantastic.  Jump up and down screaming how great it is.
 >
 > That does not in any way benefit or affect the development of the
 > X Window System at all, and as such, whatever merits that
 > software may or may not have for you or others, it is useless to
 > the purposes of this mailing list, or for the future development
 > of the X Window System.

It will become interesting once one thinks about integrating this
technology directly into the client lib/Xserver. It contains a lot
of good ideas to reduce the traffic and especially the round trips
on the wire.

After reaching an almost unanimous consent that lbx is more or less
useless (the author himself claims it's entirely useless) all we are
left with right now is doing wire compression by going thru ssh.
Other plans exist to reduce wire round trips however from all what
I know about NX's solution it is doing a lot more - like persistent
caching of pixmaps even between X sessions.

Kurt's email may have been written a little bit from a salesperson's
point of view, but that doesn't negate the idea behind this software.

Egbert.