X compression techniques (was Re: VNC server based on kdrive using damage extension?)

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle@danka.de
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:35:52 +0100

Egbert Eich wrote:

> Mike A. Harris writes:

>  > That does not in any way benefit or affect the development of the
>  > X Window System at all, and as such, whatever merits that
>  > software may or may not have for you or others, it is useless to
>  > the purposes of this mailing list, or for the future development
>  > of the X Window System.
>
> It will become interesting once one thinks about integrating this
> technology directly into the client lib/Xserver. It contains a lot
> of good ideas to reduce the traffic and especially the round trips
> on the wire.
>
> After reaching an almost unanimous consent that lbx is more or less
> useless (the author himself claims it's entirely useless) all we are
> left with right now is doing wire compression by going thru ssh.
> Other plans exist to reduce wire round trips however from all what
> I know about NX's solution it is doing a lot more - like persistent
> caching of pixmaps even between X sessions.
>
> Kurt's email may have been written a little bit from a salesperson's
> point of view,

No, it was from the point of view of a very enthusiastic
user....

> but that doesn't negate the idea behind this software.

...which also doesn't negat the idea.   ;-)

> Egbert.

Thanks, Egbert -- it's good to hear some sober reactions
sometimes.

Cheers,
Kurt