error running xserver

Christoffer Olsen co at deworks.net
Mon May 3 16:40:26 PDT 2004

My guess is that it is related to that you already run another X server,
which you cannot stop the TCP listening on. Strictly, if you're on a
trusted network, you don't need -nolisten tcp, and if you do things
correctly, you probably don't need -ac either. I have all the binaries
as suid root, so I start them as my user, then starting gnome-session in
that by giving DISPLAY=:1 gnome-sessio instead of xterm.

If you really are running another X server, try shutting it down, and if
you think you're not, check if you do anyway. lsof provides great help
in these cases.

Anyway, I've just started playing with xserver, so don't take my word
for this working.

Chris