Composite and damage status

Keith Whitwell keith at tungstengraphics.com
Tue May 11 02:28:30 PDT 2004

Egbert Eich wrote:
> Mathieu Lacage writes:
>  > hi keith,
>  >
>  > I thought about sending a mail similar to the one sent by egbert a while
>  > ago. While I am by no means a very useful member of the community (I
>  > merely lurk around and try to keep up to date, in the hope that I can do
>  > something one day), I find it very hard to follow the developement
>  > around the X server and I have been unable until now to find the mailing
>  > list where real discussion takes place. For example, a recent mail by
>  > Jim Gettys refers to "discussions taking place" to decide on autotooling
>  > issues although I never saw such a discussion on any of the xserver,
>  > xorg and xlibs mailing lists.
>
> Right. I fully argee, what you say warms my hart.
> This is what I felt all along: we all need to work together and
> form a communtiy. A community is all about communications. I felt
> there was a lack of that in XFree86 in the later days and I feel
> this group is not doing all that well here either.
> Other communities are more communicative. I would like to get there,
> too.
> I know that many people are hanging out on IRC. But this is not
> really building an international community as IRC is harder to follow
> for some of the people here.
> One thing we need to do is to bring the Xserver, Xlib and Xorg communities
> closer together. Right now people don't even seem to know all relevant
> mailing lists (and IRC channels). I don't even know if I have all this
> information.
>
> Here is the list of mailing lists I'm aware of:
>
> xorg at freedesktop.org  (general discussion list for X related issues
> 		      currently also abused as support list)

I had a quick look at the x.org webpage the other day as I suspected there
were discussions I wasn't involved in.  I didn't find this list...  Maybe I
should have started from the freedesktop.org site.

Anyway, yes, the mailinglist situation is currently a little confusing and
could use some consolidation & at least clarification.

Keith