Composite and damage status

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed May 12 20:30:45 PDT 2004

Around 10 o'clock on May 12, Egbert Eich wrote:

> I have no clue about the IRC channels and I'm waiting for a kind person to
> come around and shed some light in the present IRC structure both for the
> general public and for me.

There seems to be fewer IRC channels than mailing lists at least.  The
ones I monitor on irc.freenode.net:

#freedesktop	General freedesktop community hang-out.  Lots of chatter and
		suchlike, but also contains substantive technical discussions
		ranging all over the map.  Also a good place to figure out what
		to make for desert.

#xorg		I think this is intended as a 'support' channel for people
		getting X11R6.7 running.  Not as much discussion as
		#freedesktop, but sometimes questions can end up heading
		off the edge of 'support' into 'development'.

#cairo		Developer discussion about cairo.

There's also the gnome IRC server (irc.gnome.org):

#unicode	Discussions about unicode support in applications and libraries.
		Not limited to Gnome stuff.  Also international politics and
		food.

If there are other channels people use, feel free to chime in.

I log all of my IRC channels, but I don't publish them.  If we do want to
start publically archiving them, we'd have to make sure everyone knew.  At
this point, it's a lot more like a telephone conference which lets people
worry less about precise spelling and grammar.  It would be useful to
post technical discussions to appropriate email lists; I think that would
be helpful.

> I would think we need one general purpose developers list.
> xorg@ can serve as such.

I think it's obvious that we should limit the number of lists until we
demonstrate that more are needed.  Keeping all discussion in this list
should make sure that everyone knows what's going on.

Merging 'xserver@' with 'xorg@' might help here?

-keith