Mode setting API's

Martijn Sipkema msipkema at sipkema-digital.com
Fri May 21 03:44:16 PDT 2004

[...]
> Usually when I say that people tell me that opengl is also controled by
> companies, the simple diffrance I see is the fact that opengl does have
> something to do with hardware and like it or not we need hardware
> companies support, but AFAICS this is not the case with openML.

It is. OpenML is to video hardware what OpenGL is for graphics hardware.

> another thing I find weird is the lack of responds from the developers to
> the forum they host, and the fact they complitly ignored existing
> techonologies like openAL.

OpenML is more aimed at video than audio. Also OpenAL is _not_ a
the API of choice when doing normal, i.e. non 3d, audio.

> I'm not sure it's a good idea to count on them,
> I hope the open standard community would release a better more community
> aware standard

I'm hoping they decide to open up more, which I think is planned. A lot
of the companies involved are also with OpenGL. Perhaps sending them
an email requesting the availability under the same conditions as the OpenGL
sample implementation would be a good idea? Note that the standard itself
_is_ available.

Linux does lack a good video API at the moment...

--ms

> Ely Levy
> System group
> Hebrew University
> Jerusalem Israel
>

> On Mon, 17 May 2004, Jon Smirl wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at the OpenML spec and it covers the areas that we have been
> > discussing plus a lot more. But the Khronos Group doesn't appear to be
very Open
> > Source friendly.  It seems that I have to apply for membership and
return signed
> > documents to get a Linux SDK.  But some of their other projects are
hosted at
> > Sourceforge.  What's their intention, are they Open Source or not?
> >
> > --- Keith Whitwell <keith at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> > > As I've said, I don't have a deep grasp of the requirements of a
putative
> > > future mode-setting API, but in the course of other reading I came
across
> > > MLdc, which is a part of the OpenML environment.  This is a library
API which