[Accessibility] Re: Updated requirements document

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt@kde.org
Thu Jan 6 13:53:54 PST 2005

Hi Milan!

> I'm not sure how to interpret the silence here last weeks after Willie
> Walker and I have rewritten the requirements document.

Your very well-written document is based on the list Gary and I wrote, so
it already covers the points that are important for the KDE
Text-To-Speech system. I should have said so clearly, of course, to give
you feedback for your excellent summary of the discussion so far, but
I have been very busy with other stuff. Sorry.

I will reply to the original mail with some suggestions on minor points
after sending this mail.

> g. All people here think everything has already been solved.

My impression is that most of the work in finding the requirements for a
common speech synthesis API has already been done. Of course there are
still some open points, but I hope that we can move forward and define
the API itself soon.

In the meantime we have released KTTS, and it will be part of KDE 3.4. Our
plan is to provide a plug-in for for the new API as soon as it has been
defined, so we are still very interested in working towards a common API.

> More about g. :-) I think we succeeded to agree on the basic
> requirement set.  But I can see two major obstacles preventing further
> work on the document:
>
> - It is still unclear to me, whether SSML as defined by the current W3C
>   standard can serve as a good input format able to express the
>   requirements on the synthesis.

Do you have any specific reasons for thinking this might not be the case?

> - I have no good idea about the way the audio output should be sent
> from the synthesizer if we ever want to use index marks.

I am no multimedia expert, so I don't have a perfect suggestion either.
Would it be possible to pass a series of raw audio streams to a callback
function?

Olaf

--
KDE Accessibility Project