AMD and free and open source software

Bridgman, John John.Bridgman at amd.com
Thu Sep 1 02:25:38 UTC 2016

One suggestion that was made recently was for AMD to supply packages containing only HW microcode images for AMD GPUs... you would still be using a non-free package but you would not have to enable the entire non-free Debian package that contains both real "firmware" and HW microcode for a number of different vendors.

Some people felt that would be a big help while others felt it would not make any difference - how do you feel about that ?