Question about porting VCE1 to amdgpu

Alexandre Demers alexandre.f.demers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 17:30:14 UTC 2017

On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 at 13:09 Deucher, Alexander <Alexander.Deucher at amd.com>
wrote:

> [...]

OK. Then,  is it expected to have a validation failure with the current
firmware? Is the header compatible with how the validation is done under
VCE2 and others or should I keep how it was done under radeon?

> BTW: Does VCE work on CIK? Alex, don't we run into the same issue there as
> well?
>
> VCE works on CIK.  We ported VCE and UVD to CIK as part of the initial
> amdgpu bring up.

I've been using VCE2 port as my template for VCE1. My initial intention was
to work on UVD, but I ended up plugging in VCE in the first place. UVD is
on my todo list right next, I was expecting to working on it after fixing
the VCE part.

> Alex
>

> - Wouldn't it be better to continue loading the driver while having VCE
> disabled IF we fail when loading or validating the FW? Completely failing
> to load the driver for this reason seems overkill IMO, since nothing has
> been loaded in memory and no registry have been modified up to that point.
>
> UVD and VCE are actually needed for correct power management. When the
> blocks fail to initialize you usually sooner or later run into problems
> with power management (e.g. stuck inside a certain power level).

OK, but right now it is disabled, so the situation wouldn't be worst isn't
it?

> - Would it be a good idea to send a patch as a RFC so some of you could
> help me finish the job and maybe pinpoint where the last modifications need
> to be done?
>
> Well you could, but to be honest without AMD releasing new firmware that
> is most likely a futile effort.

I'll send a patch then, and we'll navigate from there. This will allow me
to work on UVD in parallel.

Alexandre Demers