GFXv8/Polaris on big endian

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Jun 12 14:54:42 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-12 04:25 PM, Marcus Comstedt wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have an RX 550 (Polaris 12) card which works fine on my Talos II
> (POWER9) in little endian mode, but not in big endian mode.  So I wanted
> to try and help out to make the driver work in BE mode as well (comments
> in the driver code seem to suggest the author did not have a BE system
> to test on).
>
> After some work I have the SMU and firmware loading parts working fine
> (patch at http://mc.pp.se/amd_powerplay_be.patch if anyone is curious),
> but the gfx ring is posing a bit of a stumbling block.
>
> I have the rptr/wptr and doorbell stuff figured out, and if I byteswap
> the commands as I write them to the ring (i.e. adding a cpu_to_le32 in
> amdgpu_ring_write), then the ring test passes just fine.  However,
> looking at the drivers for older boards, I don't think this is the
> right approach.  Instead, a hardware function to make the GPU swap the
> commands itself should be activated.  For example in the v6 driver,
> which is for cards I believe work on BE, this is (AFAICT) done by
> setting the BUF_SWAP field in CP_RB0_CNTL to 32BIT (2).
>
> There is corresponding code in the v8 driver:
>
> #ifdef __BIG_ENDIAN
>         tmp = REG_SET_FIELD(tmp, CP_RB0_CNTL, BUF_SWAP, 1);
> #endif
>         WREG32(mmCP_RB0_CNTL, tmp);
>
> Which only differs in that a different value (1 instead of 2) is written
> to the field.  However, I can not seem to get this to work.  I have
> written all possible values (0-3, as the field is 2-bit) to the field
> but it appears to have no effect.  If I write swapped values to the ring
> then the ring test passes, which should not be the case if the HW is
> also swapping.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong here?  Is the register
> documentation available somewhere?  Could there be a firmware bug?
>
> I would prefer to get this working without swapping the words in
> amdgpu_write as that would break compatibility with the older drivers...

Not sure what kind of compatibility you mean.

Anyway, AFAIK all GPUs supported by amdgpu simply don't have these byte
swapping capabilities anymore. This will pose a much bigger challenge in
the shader related code in Mesa.

My advice would be to reconsider whether whatever reasons you have for
running in big endian mode are worth the pain. :)