Modesetting (amdgpudrmfb) artifacts on RAVEN APU

KARBOWSKI Piotr piotr.karbowski at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 17:38:32 UTC 2018

On 2018-03-07 17:48, KARBOWSKI Piotr wrote:
> On 2018-03-07 17:14, Harry Wentland wrote:
>> Pushed a drm-fixes-4.16 branch (based on Alex's) to my FDO repo
>> athttps://cgit.freedesktop.org/~hwentland/linux/  but I don't have a
>> Raven system setup to test this at the moment.
>>
>> Tom, or Piotr, would you be able to check that the fix works as
>> intended on that branch?
>
> Tested that branch, confirmed that the VGA patch is there but I got the
> original result of broken video. Rebooted few times. It seems that my
> issue was not the VGA turnover afterall. I will re-test it with vanilla
> amd-staging-drm-next of git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux
> without the VGA patch and update you.

I re-tested original tree of git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux
on branch amd-staging-drm-next and got the 'double screen' glitches,
then I applied the patch Tom sent me as the very first response to this
thread and then it indeed fixed it. So the VGA takeover patch is needed
it, it seems.

I triple checked and build the images and the drm-fixes-4.16 of
git://people.freedesktop.org/~hwentland/linux does not fix the problem
for me.

So far only amd-staging-drm-next with
0001-drm-amd-display-Fix-takeover-from-VGA-mode.patch does the trick.
One thing worth note is that the amd-staging-drm-next goes as `rc1`
where yours fork Harry appears to be rc3, no idea if it's related or not.

-- Piotr.