deprecated register issues

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Thu Mar 8 10:50:48 UTC 2018

> Although KMD now use a cache way to give libdrm the
> CC_RB_BACKEND_DISABLE value, but KMD still need to read it at least
> one shot during loading driver right ?
Correct, but we do this while having exclusive access.

> Not only tlb flush, other ring’s vm flush of VF2 can all be ruined by
> this register’s reading from VF1, right ?
Not sure about that. But as I said that problem is not limited to VM
flushes, e.g. when you access this register any other register write or
read can be affected.

May theory is that accessing those registers sometimes times out when
the MC is to busy or something like this and this timeout in turn
results in a register bus reset which affects all other ongoing
operations as well.

> How you solve that ?

Stop accessing the affected registers as much as possible, there is no
really any other known workaround.

The risk by accessing it when the driver loads is minimal, we just need
to make sure that we don't touch them during world switch.

Regards,
Christian.