How to get useful information other than "the whole system locks up"?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 18:01:57 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 2:58 AM Braiam <braiamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Sapphire Technology Hawaii XT (R9 290X) using amdgpu driver
> with kernel 5.1.0-rc3.
> The issue happens with current 4.19.0 debian testing, 4.20-trunk,
> 5.0.0-trunk and rc2 and 3.
>
> It usually happens when I'm reproducing video, but I haven't figured
> out a way to reproduce it. It
> happened once without reproducing. I'm aware that the support is
> experimental, but radeon
> driver doesn't seems capable of direct rendering on this card dropping
> to llvmepipe.

Radeon should work out of the box.  Maybe something is messed up with
your install?

> I had a ssh server installed in case I could log in while it crashes,
> and the only relevant
> line I found was:
>
> drm:amdgpu job timeout [amdgpu]] **ERROR** ring gfx timeout, signaled
> seq=399919, emitted seq=399921
>
> But that turned several bug reports which seems to have been fixed and
> the context and symptoms are too different to mine.

You appear to be experiencing a GPU lockup.  Unfortunately, there can
be many things that cause it, so it really helps to have a good
reproducer case.  You might try a newer version of mesa or llvm.  What
does your "reproducing video" work flow use?  What apps, APIs are
involved?

Alex