How to get useful information other than "the whole system locks up"?

Braiam braiamp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 22:38:01 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 2:02 PM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 2:58 AM Braiam <braiamp at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Sapphire Technology Hawaii XT (R9 290X) using amdgpu driver
> > with kernel 5.1.0-rc3.
> > The issue happens with current 4.19.0 debian testing, 4.20-trunk,
> > 5.0.0-trunk and rc2 and 3.
> >
> > It usually happens when I'm reproducing video, but I haven't figured
> > out a way to reproduce it. It
> > happened once without reproducing. I'm aware that the support is
> > experimental, but radeon
> > driver doesn't seems capable of direct rendering on this card dropping
> > to llvmepipe.
>
> Radeon should work out of the box.  Maybe something is messed up with
> your install?

Doubtful, since I used 2200G without issues. Only change was using amdgpu
due games being particularly slow.

> > I had a ssh server installed in case I could log in while it crashes,
> > and the only relevant
> > line I found was:
> >
> > drm:amdgpu job timeout [amdgpu]] **ERROR** ring gfx timeout, signaled
> > seq=399919, emitted seq=399921
> >
> > But that turned several bug reports which seems to have been fixed and
> > the context and symptoms are too different to mine.
> >

> You appear to be experiencing a GPU lockup.  Unfortunately, there can
> be many things that cause it, so it really helps to have a good
> reproducer case.  You might try a newer version of mesa or llvm.  What
> does your "reproducing video" work flow use?  What apps, APIs are
> involved?

By "reproducing video" I mean watching videos from either Youtube/Netflix
with Firefox or mpv for local files. But note that I've experienced at
least one lock up
without any video on screen (I don't remember if there was something paused
on the background).

Using mesa 18.3.4, and according to glxinfo DRM 3.30.0, LLVM 7.0.1. With
vulkan, vdpau and va drivers on the same version. I gave up and removed
any and every instance of the rocm package, since the module couldn't
compile on the kernel.

Another detail about the lock up: the screen doesn't freeze but no
signal is emitted,
so my monitor goes to sleep.

Upgraded to mesa 19.0.1 and llvm 8.0.0, although I didn't see anything
relevant on the
changelogs that could affect my experience.

> Alex
>
> > I have tried forcing the amdgpu xorg driver with same results (was
> > using radeon).
> >
> > --
> > Braiam

Braiam