Trying to run AMD E9260 (Polaris 11) on NXP LS1012A-RDB

Koenig, Christian Christian.Koenig at amd.com
Thu Jan 10 13:38:23 UTC 2019

Am 10.01.19 um 14:31 schrieb Bas Vermeulen:
On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:59 AM Christian König <ckoenig.leichtzumerken at gmail.com<mailto:ckoenig.leichtzumerken at gmail.com>> wrote:
The PCI Express controller as instantiated on this chip does not support hardware coherency. All incoming PCI Express transactions are made non IO-coherent.

Would AMDGPU still work with that PCI Express controller, or is this a show-stopper?

I'm really wondering what this comment in the documentation means.

As far as I know PCIe doesn't support cache coherency in the downstream and supporting it in the up stream is a must have.
So what exactly is meant here with IO-coherent?

I believe IO Coherent means that when PCIe writes something to CPU memory, the caches are flushed or updated
(or in this case they aren't). I found https://community.arm.com/processors/b/blog/posts/extended-system-coherency---part-1---cache-coherency-fundamentals
with this explanation.

Yeah, but as I said this upstream memory coherency is mandatory for PCIe.

When a controller doesn't have that it can't call itself a PCIe controller. The spec is pretty clear about that :)

And to answer the original question: Yes, that would be a totally show-stopper.

Regards,
Christian.

Regards,

Bas Vermeulen