Number of MST displays for Radeon RX 4xx / RX 5xx ?

Klaus Kusche klaus.kusche at computerix.info
Mon Mar 18 10:26:03 UTC 2019

Hello,

I was unable to find any documentation (neither on the amd side
nor on the linux side) giving the maximum number of independent displays
supported by the amd polaris GPU's.

The old cape verde GPU supports six displays,
either with cards having 6 separate DP outputs or with MST hubs.

But for polaris, the maximum number of outputs I've seen on graphics cards
is 5 for 570 / 580 / 590, and 4 for 560 & WX 4100, and 3 for 550 & WX [23]100.
There seems to be no card with 6 outputs.

https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ says
"Max Supported Displays (Eyefinity)" "4-6" for these cards,
but it does not tell which ones are only 4 or 5 and which ones are 6.

How many displays can be connected (in linux) to these cards using MST hubs,
especially to the smaller ones WX [234]100 ? Also 6 for all cards?

Many thanks for your help!

--
Prof. Dr. Klaus Kusche
Private address: Rosenberg 41, 07546 Gera, Germany