Why no spatial dithering to 10 bit depth on DCE?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 21:36:35 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 4:08 PM Mario Kleiner
<mario.kleiner.de at gmail.com> wrote:

> Resending this one as well, in the hope of some clarification or background information.

I suspect this may have been a limitation from DCE11.0 (E.g.,
carrizo/stoney APUs).  They had some bandwidth limitations with
respect to high bit depth IIRC.  I suspect it should be fine on the
relevant dGPUs.  The code was probably originally added for the APUs
and just never updated or the changes were accidentally lost when we
consolidated the DCE code.  Unfortunately, there are not a lot of apps
that work properly in Linux with >8 bits per channel.

Alex