Why no spatial dithering to 10 bit depth on DCE?

Mario Kleiner mario.kleiner.de at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 21:11:50 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 10:36 PM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 4:08 PM Mario Kleiner
> <mario.kleiner.de at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Resending this one as well, in the hope of some clarification or
> background information.

Thanks Alex.

I suspect this may have been a limitation from DCE11.0 (E.g.,
> carrizo/stoney APUs).  They had some bandwidth limitations with
> respect to high bit depth IIRC.  I suspect it should be fine on the
> relevant dGPUs.  The code was probably originally added for the APUs

That sounds as if it would make sense for me to try to submit a patch to
you that restricts this limitation to DCE 11.0 only?

All i can say is during my testing with DCE-8.3 over HDMI and DCE-11.2 over
DP under amdvlk with fp16 mode and ouptut_bpc set to 10 bpc, ie. dithering
down from 12 bpc to 10 bpc, i didn't notice any problems when hacking this
out, and photometer measurements showed good improvements of luminance
reproduction with dithering.

and just never updated or the changes were accidentally lost when we
> consolidated the DCE code.  Unfortunately, there are not a lot of apps
> that work properly in Linux with >8 bits per channel.

Mine does ;-). As does apparently the Kodi media player. And at least
Gnome/X11 works now, whereas KDE's Kwin/X11 used to work nicely, but
regressed. And amdvlk does have fp16 support now since a while ago, so
that's one way to get high precision without disturbing conventional
desktop apps. I'll probably look into Mesa's Vulkan/WSI for 10 bpc / fp16
sometime this year if nobody beats me to it.

-mario

Alex