Several new (or old) feature-branches proposed for upstream merge

José Fonseca jose.r.fonseca at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 13:23:24 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:

> José Fonseca <jose.r.fonseca at gmail.com> writes:
> >> However it fails to build on windows due to random(). Could you modify
> >> random_level() to use rand() , or add a os::random() abstraction that
> does
> >> something sensible for windows?
> >
> > I went ahead and did this.
>
> Thanks, José. My apologies for not getting to this little task you asked
> for. I totally dropped the ball on this one, (to the point where someone
> asked me about these performance improvements recently and I couldn't
> recall why there weren't on master).
>
> It will be nice to have this in place on the master branch now.

No prob. I was trying to catch up with my starred/flagged apitrace emails
when I came across this. It was easier than I thought -- initially I
somehow thought that rand() and random() had different interfaces, and
would require fiddling with the function that used them, but rand/random
have precisely the same interface (0..RAND_MAX), so it was actually trivial.

Jose