[AppStream] Adding URL kind "translation"

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Mon Aug 8 17:36:02 UTC 2016

> Hey,
>
> I've been talking to a lot of translators at Flock this week. Without
> many exceptions they've told me it's hard to translate AppData files
> as they don't know where to submit translations just from looking at
> the software center. I've been mostly successful saying "do it
> upstream" again and again but we're not making it easy to discover
> where "upstream" is for translations. I was thinking about proposing
> an optional:
>
> <url kind="translation">https://fedora.zanata.org/project/view/appstream-glib</url>
>
> where the actual value in practice would typically be a Zanata or
> Transifex instance. This can either be discovered using a widget in
> the software center or just from a webapp that parses the AppStream
> metadata (much like Jean-Baptiste has produced).
>
> I guess this should be pretty uncontroversial -- but feedback very
> welcome. If this gets blessed then I'll add support to appstream-glib
> and then blog about it once the new tarball has hit the major distros
> (to avoid validation failures).

I have nothing against it in general, but one day you need to explain
to me why the GNOME Software center would show this URL type but not
the FAQ or Donation URLs...
One thing I would like is to make it clear somehow that this URL is
for users to *submit* translations, and not to *obtain* translations.
So maybe calling the type "translate" or better
"translation-submission" (or "submit-translation"?)

Cheers,
    Matthias