[AppStream] RFC: A UniqueID in AppStream

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Aug 9 16:33:32 UTC 2016

> On 8 August 2016 at 19:04, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net> wrote:
>> I think the "kind" is redundant here, as per AppStream spec there must
>> never be some component with the same ID.
>
> Right; but it's certainly useful in my implementation.

For what do you need that exactly?

>> What a "scope" is would need some clear definition, IMHO.
>
> For scope I just have 'user', 'system' and 'unknown' for the wildcard
> glob. I don't think anything else would make sense, and as such I've
> defined them as enums in appstream-glib.

Okay, that does make sense to me :)

>> I am not sure if we really need that level of granularity (try to convince me!).
>
> I think you've convinced me, actually :) I've dropped arch and version
> from the API.

\o/

>>> implement, for example an merge component might only have
>> Makes sense...
>
> Talking of which, do we have specs for what a merge component should
> look like btw? I'm a bit lost to what the proposal looks like now.

To make this easier, I pushed the current working draft of the
AppStream spec to Freedesktop.
The merge component type is described at
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-AppStream-DataMerge.html

The "Merge rules" are really terrible at time, which is something I
wanted to discuss anyway: Do we ever want to have a merge component
*deleting* data from existing metadata? Should, for list types like
<categories/>, the merge component extend those or replace those?

Cheers,
    Matthias