[AppStream] A component kind for language packs

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 20:50:06 UTC 2016

On 26 February 2016 at 20:18, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net> wrote:
> The type should likely be "<localization>", since those components could
> theoretically also contain more stuff for internationalization than
> just languages.

Isn't localization the process rather than the item? It's better than
langpack already. :)

> I would also suggest a "locale" tag to specify one or more locales
> this package serves, as well as allowing to use the extends tag to
> specify that this is internationalization for a specific software
> component.

I wondered about just putting:

<languages>
<lang>pl</lang>
</languages>

...like we already do for applications. It's not really a locale, it's
a language code. I guess our <languages> should really have been a
"<localization>" and our "<lang>" really a "<locale>". Alas, too late
now.

> In case of "larger" language packs, we probably need a way to assign
> them to desktop environments, so KDE users don't install a GNOME
> language pack and vice versa.

Well, this is implemented in Fedora with soft dependencies so if you
have eclipse installed then eclipse-langpack-pl is included, but not
kde-localization-pl if KDE isn't installed.

Richard.