[AppStream] A component kind for language packs

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Thu Mar 3 15:53:46 UTC 2016

> On 26 February 2016 at 20:18, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net> wrote:
>> The type should likely be "<localization>", since those components could
>> theoretically also contain more stuff for internationalization than
>> just languages.
>
> Isn't localization the process rather than the item? It's better than
> langpack already. :)

The component - if installed - will provide localization of the
environment, that's my thinking. And l18n is a standard term for
making software locale-aware.
I don't have any better naming idea so far ^^

>> I would also suggest a "locale" tag to specify one or more locales
>> this package serves, as well as allowing to use the extends tag to
>> specify that this is internationalization for a specific software
>> component.
>
> I wondered about just putting:
>
> <languages>
> <lang>pl</lang>
> </languages>
>
> ...like we already do for applications.

Jup, I think that's a good idea - no need for a new tag.

> It's not really a locale, it's
> a language code. I guess our <languages> should really have been a
> "<localization>" and our "<lang>" really a "<locale>". Alas, too late
> now.

I am pretty sure it was you who objected when I wanted to name the
children <locale/>, because "it's not a locale but a language code /
name" ;-)
Anyway, we can't change it anymore, and it's not a bad name, I think ^^

>> In case of "larger" language packs, we probably need a way to assign
>> them to desktop environments, so KDE users don't install a GNOME
>> language pack and vice versa.
>
> Well, this is implemented in Fedora with soft dependencies so if you
> have eclipse installed then eclipse-langpack-pl is included, but not
> kde-localization-pl if KDE isn't installed.

You can declare dependencies like "if X is installed, also install Y"
at a package manager level in Fedora?
(In Debian, I could think about using the normal Suggests tag and have
an external tool pull in the data on-demand...)
Still, having the extends tag set for completeness might be useful...
Knowing where a language pack belongs to it IMHO helpful metadata.
Only full environments, like language packs used in Ubuntu, will be
difficult to specify...

Cheers,
    Matthias