[AppStream] Including High Contrast icons in AppStream metadata

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Thu Mar 3 15:47:00 UTC 2016

> On 29 February 2016 at 00:31, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net> wrote:
>> The AppStream icon cache is supposed to follow the XDG icon theme
>> spec, which in fact it doesn't do. Maybe we should finally make it
>> compliant.
>
> In what sense? Have icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/?

I think we can omit the /apps, as we actually don't follow the spec
and never will. But we can take inspiration from there, that's what I
mean.

>> I also have a bug report that we actually assume that the 128x128
>> icons are HiDPI icons, while that is actually not always true, and we
>> should use the (admittedly, weird) scaling factor spec for that.
>
> How many apps have different icons for 128x128 and 64x64 at 2? I don't know of any.

Should be *very* few - I know some icons in the Breeze theme in KDE
Plasma which do look different though...

>> If we go for the scaling factor stuff too, 128x128 would vanish as an
>> icon size, and the size string for those would be "64x64 at 2".
>
> I can very easily support this in appstream-glib if this is what you want to do.

Yeah, implementing it is easy, but I am worried about breaking
assumptions by software centers which currently are based on the
"128x128 == HiDPI icon" assumtion. It actually would be a (soft) API
break, and I am not exactly sure if the cause warrants doing this.
My point of view will change though when it is very common to ship
different app icons for HiDPI than people normally do for 128x128.

Cheers,
    Matthias