[AppStream] Adding another component type

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 16:44:58 UTC 2016

On 2 September 2016 at 17:33, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net> wrote:
> A "driver" is a very specific thing, "hardware-support" is a bit more
> generic and would also allow including various other tools you need to
> install to make your hardware work (for example some kind of
> hardware-specific control center app).

I think a hardware-specific control center GUI app would still be
desktop-application.

> So I tend to prefer hardware-support, although I would also be fine
> with "driver".

Okay, lets go with "driver" as it's shorter. It also means it works
for drivers that don't explicitly refer to hardware, for instance the
VMWare kernel modules. We've already got console-application for
random CLI tools, and I'd rather the "type" remained as a *what
explicit kind of component* rather than trying to umbrella it out to a
collection of random things.

Richard.