[AppStream] [fdo] Wikidata IDs in appdata.xml

Loic Dachary loic at dachary.org
Thu Sep 8 08:13:01 UTC 2016

[removing freedesktop from the To:]

Hi Matthias & Tobias,

Here are tentative answers:

The Wikidata ID is a link to the http://wikidata.org/ item that contains facts about the software. Comparing the content of appdata.xml and wikidata would help users, wikidata editors and appdata.xml maintainers.

The user (human or program) of https://github.com/GNOME/gimp/blob/gimp-2-8/desktop/gimp.appdata.xml.in has no information about the license. Using the Wikidata ID the license is found to be GPL-3.0 at https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q8038.

The wikidata GNOME Builder item can reference the appdata.xml.in as the primary source of information regarding the license as shown in https://www.wikidata.org/w/index.php?title=Q20739542&type=revision&diff=374511744&oldid=374511702.

The appdata.xml maintainer can harvest the descriptions translated into various languages from wikidata. For instance https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q20739542 has a french description that could be used in https://github.com/chergert/gnome-builder/blob/master/data/org.gnome.Builder.appdata.xml.in.

> It will also help a lot if you could point out a service or application that will consume this data

Whatever application consumes appdata.xml could use Wikidata ID when a field is missing.

I hope that helps :-)

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre