[AppStream] Adding agreements to AppStream

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Apr 10 03:21:56 UTC 2018

> On 6 April 2018 at 08:05, Marius Vollmer <marius.vollmer at redhat.com> wrote:
>> What about adding a version or some other symbolic identifier?  Then you
>> can check whether the agreement has changed significantly and needs to
>> be shown again.
>
> Good idea. It really needs to be a text identifier, as lawyers love to
> call agreement versions crazy things like "1.4a-USA". In this case I'd
> assume the XML would look like (based on the components tag):
>
>   <agreement type="eula" version="1.0">
>
> But I guess we could also have:
>
>   <agreement type="eula">
>      <version>1.0</version>
>
> Which is like the release and review tags. I don't mind either way.

I wouldn't call this a version if it's some arbitrary identifier... I
would reserve "version" for things where we expect version comparison
functions to work on, most commonly SEMVER version numbers.
If lawyers like crazy IDs where we can't be sure that they can be
sorted by our version comparison algorithms, and the only point of
those is to see if we need to show them again if the ID changes, I
would rather call this "custom_id" or "agreement_id", "text_id" etc.
(or something that's not "id" because all id properties in AppStream
are currently enum-type and not arbitrary text, but I currently can't
think of any better names)

Cheers,
    Matthias