[AppStream] Appstream ID and Flatpak

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at daitauha.fr
Fri Jan 12 15:31:00 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-01-12 at 13:37 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 at 22:31:40 -0700, Nate Graham wrote:
> > I decided to start this work myself and have been submitting
> > patches for affected apps.
>
> Please be extra-careful about domain names (and domain-name-like
> constructs like GitHub usernames) that contain U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS
> (hyphen, minus, dash), or that contain a component starting with a
> digit.
>
> Specifically, the change you got merged into Endless Sky is in fact
> using a reversed domain name that doesn't belong to the author of
> Endless Sky, and could be claimed by another GitHub user or org by
> registering on GitHub as "endlesssky".
>
> The recommendation that I recently committed to the Desktop Entry
> spec and to the D-Bus Specification is to replace all hyphen/minus
> with underscores, and prefix an underscore if there is a digit
> immediately before a domain component. For instance, if 7-zip.org
> published an archiver, they could call it org._7_zip.Archiver.
> The AppStream specification is going to include the same advice when
> its maintainer gets a chance.

Thank you for this recommendation, it's very useful indeed.

Unfortunately, it came a bit late in my case: some time ago I flatpaked
Play it Slowly, which is hosted at https://29a.ch/playitslowly

I couldn't use ch.29a.playitslowly because the second component starts
with a digit.

After talking about with upstream, he decided to prefix that component
with an "x". So now Flathub has ch.x29a.playitslowly.

How should we proceed now?

--
Mathieu