[avahi] autotooling python scripts

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Wed Aug 3 04:33:04 EST 2005

On Tue, 02.08.05 16:53, Sebastien Estienne (sebastien.estienne at gmail.com) wrote:

> > > I think that we should think for the long term and turn avahi.py in a
> > > python site-package that will hold the python's avahi bindings.
> >
> > Currently avahi.py just contains some definitions (no functions or
> > whatsoever) which are needed to make sensible use of the DBUS API. I
> > doubt it is advisable to add much more than this. Therefore I consider
> > the appelation "avahi bindings" a little over-the-top.

> I may be interested on working on this

What are you planning to add beyond what avahi.py currently provides?

What benefits would this wrapper offer beyond the DBUS API?

> > I don't know much about site packages, but shouldn't it be
> i don't know much either at the moment :)
> > sufficient to put avahi.py into
> > /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/avahi.py and that's it?

> it seems that site-packages/avahi.py is equivalent to avahi/__init__.py
> with the added value, that you can then add more files in avahi/

Aha, OK. This looks fine for me, then.

> I also don't know where i'm supposed to store SimpleGladeApp.py, it
> seems that is should be package on its on and installed in
> /usr/lib/python2.4/
> But until debiab/ubuntu/whatever package it, i don't really know where
> to store it, i mean put it in $DATADIR/avahi/python/ and ajust the
> import path in my pygtk app.

What about putting it into sites-packages/avahi/SimpleGladeApp.py?If
you put that file elsewhere it might conflict with modules of the same
name of other projects.

The file is rather short. Why not merge it directly into
avahi-discover? Or do you plan to write other tools for avahi using
this module?

BTW: your python port of avahi-discover looks fine to me. A few
suggestions:

- in the "interface" column you should show on which protocol a
  service was found (i.e. was it found eth0 using mDNS-over-IPv4 or with
  mDNS-over-IPv6) reason: a service "foo" found on eth0 via IPv4 may
  be different from a service with the same name found on eth0 via
  IPv6.
- It would be nice if the tool would have a top level category showing
  the available browsing domains (i.e. ".local" and all other user
  defined domains)
- avahi-dump-all supports specifying the domain to browse on the
  command line, it would be nice to have this in avahi-discover,
  too. If nothing is specified the tool should browse ".local" and all
  other browse domains announced on the LAN. (just as avahi-dump-all does)

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/