[avahi] autotooling python scripts

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 00:53:43 EST 2005

2005/8/2, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.de>:
> On Tue, 02.08.05 02:02, Sebastien Estienne (sebastien.estienne at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > hello
>
> Hi!
>
> > I had a look at how we could integrate the python scripts in the
> > autoconf system.
> > I found a lot of good idea in the "istanbul" project:
> > http://live.gnome.org/Istanbul
> >
> > I think that we should think for the long term and turn avahi.py in a
> > python site-package that will hold the python's avahi bindings.
>
> Currently avahi.py just contains some definitions (no functions or
> whatsoever) which are needed to make sensible use of the DBUS API. I
> doubt it is advisable to add much more than this. Therefore I consider
> the appelation "avahi bindings" a little over-the-top.
I may be interested on working on this

> > For the moment i install avahi.py in
> > /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/avahi/__init__.py but it's not a long
> > term solution, so i won't commit this.
>
> I don't know much about site packages, but shouldn't it be
i don't know much either at the moment :)
> sufficient to put avahi.py into
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/avahi.py and that's it?
it seems that site-packages/avahi.py is equivalent to avahi/__init__.py
with the added value, that you can then add more files in avahi/

I also don't know where i'm supposed to store SimpleGladeApp.py, it
seems that is should be package on its on and installed in
/usr/lib/python2.4/
But until debiab/ubuntu/whatever package it, i don't really know where
to store it, i mean put it in $DATADIR/avahi/python/ and ajust the
import path in my pygtk app.

any suggestions welcom

> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
> ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/

Sebastien Estienne