Fwd: [avahi] autotooling python scripts

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Sat Aug 6 11:25:20 EST 2005

On Tue, 02.08.05 23:41, Sebastien Estienne (sebastien.estienne at gmail.com) wrote:

> > avahi-dump-all is kind of a superset of
> > avahi-browse-{domains,services,service-types}, so I see no real need
> > for seperate tools for this. Do you?

> Maybe not another tool, but maybe a tool like this:
> avahi-browse == avahi-dump-all
> avahi-browse <type>
> avahi-browse <type> <domain>

You have a point.

I modified avahi-dump-all now and renamed it to avahi-browse. It takes
the service type to browse for as argument now. If the user specifies
"-a" he gets the old behaviour, i.e. browsing for all available types.

> on the same idea, couldn't we merge avahi-publish-* in one tool?

No, I don't think this makes much sense. The source code is too
different and its purpose too.

> We could even put browse/publish/dump-all in the same avahi-util script.
> Splitting, is a good thing if we use it for coding example purpose.

The tools are intended to be both useful and illustrative. Merging
them  doesn't make much sense to me.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/